COVID-19 Update – MAY 20
Partial Reopening of Some Sports Fields/Diamonds
The City of Kitchener has announced the reopening of some sports fields (including some baseball diamonds) for personal use as part of their strategy to reopen parks and public spaces.
This is a very exciting development! We know that everyone is eager to get back on the diamonds as soon as possible, but proceeding cautiously now will help us avoid any potential setbacks with running a 2020 season.
Kitchener Minor Baseball Association is the largest single group of users of Kitchener baseball diamonds. As such, we would like to be clear on what this partial reopening of diamonds means for our players, coaches, and families. Please take note of the following guidelines we are asking our members to follow:
- KMBA team/group activities remain suspended
- Diamonds are for personal use only and we recommend participating only with members of your household
- Please use only diamonds and sports fields designated as “Open” on the Field Conditions Website or view the list here
- Be respectful of physical distancing if other players/users are present
- Please do not share equipment with any other players who may be present
- Be mindful of amount of time you spend on the diamond and/or the amount of space you are using to help give others an opportunity to make use of the diamonds/fields as well
Rest assured that there are many discussions happening at all levels of sport and government about the possible return of youth sports across Canada. There are many details to consider in determining when and how baseball might safely return this summer. We continue to await further direction from the Government of Ontario, Public Health agencies, and Baseball Ontario on the possibility of returning to group/team activities and moving into a season. Until then, your continued patience and compliance with the current guidelines will not only help keep everyone safe and healthy, but will also help to ensure that we are positioned well with our community so we can easily move forward with our season once we’re given the green light.
Stay Safe. Stay Hopeful.